Welcome back to the Drummers I Like podcast. Today we have the honor of having Josh Manuel on the show.
As you all know Josh has been displaying some high-quality drumming for quite some time now. Whether you know him from some of his early YouTube videos or playing with his band Issues, it’s agreed that he has some great skill behind the kit! We couldn’t wait to catch up with him– so let’s get to it!
6:00 – 13:00: As usual, we get our show started with Josh giving us a breakdown of his history with the drums. Growing up playing in the church he started young and was encouraged by his parents to play. He received a lot of good advice through different players through the church that really helped shape his foundation. He also gets into his early days of drum lessons and how he progressed through learning the drums, and some of his early influences. He takes us through his time with the drumline and continues to walk us through his journey on the drums with him getting into local bands.
13:00 – 17:00: Here, Josh digs in a bit more on his history with local Atlanta based bands and gets into his experience playing studio drums in a spot built by him and a good friend, which ultimately led to Josh meeting the guys from Issues. It was really cool to hear that Josh played over one of the Issues tunes that were cut in the studio and then presented to the band– It wasn’t long after that when he was called to join the band!
17:00 – 21:00: Then Rich and Josh talk a bit about touring and how sometimes that really makes you appreciate your hometown a bit more. We also all chat about that local Atlanta venue the Masquerade which also had ties to the Tampa, Florida Masquerade so Josh, Kevin and Rich touch a bit on that.
22:00 – 31:00: Now Rich starts a conversation about Josh’s studio experience. With a little fun interruption from Rich’s son Everett! (Cute kid!) which turns into a bit of a chat about family and kids. Then Rich starts to unpack Josh’s work with creating drum samples. He gets into his work with Lane Johnson of Hewlett Studios and some of the details of creating his drum samples with a legend like Lane.
31:00 – 39:00: So now we get to talk a bit about Josh’s personal drum and cymbal setup. Josh is endorsed by Zildjian so here he talks us through what cymbals he likes to use on the regular. We’ll just say he loves his K’s! Rich jumps back to a quick question and discussion about Josh’s samples and loading them up with his setup. Then we get back to Josh’s gear. He plays SJC Drums and they always put out amazing kits. Josh’s are no exception! He goes through both his drum kits. Plus his snare selection. Including his sick Calvin and Hobbs snare!
39:00 – 43:00: So before we get into our Rapid Singles round with Josh, Rich gets into what he has up and coming with Issues! He talks a bit about the album that was released in May called Headspace, playing Warped Tour last summer and then a bit about their upcoming date in Japan for Knotfest in the beginning of November! Then Josh hints at some things that are yet to be announced from Issues that should be starting around the beginning of next year. So keep a look out for that!
43:00 – Rapid Singles
1. What was holding you back from becoming the successful drummer? – Overcoming self-doubt
2. What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? – “Great men do things before their ready.”
3. What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Jamming to music that you personally enjoy
4. Share a resource or tool that helps you survive as a drummer? – His practice pad kit. Which has now transitioned into his v-kit.
5. Recommend just one book. what would it be and why? – Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone
6. Imagine you woke up tomorrow in a world exactly like ours, you still had all the same knowledge and talent that you have as a drummer but you know no one. All you have is $500, a smartphone, and small portable drum set. What would you do first? – Make a YouTube video every day of some of the most popular songs to start pushing himself. Also take advantage of social media to promote himself as a brand! Make sure to listen to the awesome way he would spend the rest of his cash on this question!
So that about does it for another Drummer I Like Podcast. Like always, we finish off this show with Josh giving some shout outs. Make sure to check out all his links below and show him some love. Also, make sure to listen closely to the Rapid Singles in this show. Josh really gets into more detail on each one of these questions and it’s a great opportunity to get great advice from one of our favorite drummers!
Links for Josh Manuel
Josh Manuel drums
Do you enjoy the Drummers I like Podcast ? Leave an Itunes review here and let us know how you feel!
Subscribe to the Newsletter for early access to content, contests, and offers!