Welcome back to this week’s episode of the Drummers I Like podcast. Today we are joined by Patch Mahoney. Patch currently plays Ludwig Drums, Remo heads, DW pedals and Vic-Firth Sticks. Patch is also a freelance touring drummer.
In this episode:
- Born to play: We get to know the early beginnings of Patch’s drum life.
- Nashville Auditions: Patch gives a glimpse of what it’s like auditioning in Nashville.
- Gear Guru: gear gear and more gear!
Born to Play:
Patch’s drum career started when he was five years old and he didn’t even know it yet. After moving to Phoenix and receiving his first kit Patch took some basic lessons but overall taught himself. Patch came from a family of musicians and although went to school for medicine found himself falling in the family “business”.
From small gigs around the Phoenix area with his parents to the drummer for his church Patch is no stranger to the life of a gigging drummer in fact Patch had just gotten home from the airport from his audition in Nashville right before this episode. Patch plans to take drumming to the next stage and make it more of his career in the next few months.
Patch can and does break down everything he uses to record and the gear he plays on. Patch and Kev really enjoy talking about their gear.
- What was holding you back from becoming a successful drummer?
- Being satisfied with drum parts.
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
- Don’t think while playing, just listen!
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success?
- Being a perfectionist and staying focused.
- Share a resource or tool that helps you survive as a drummer.
- Metronome, and practice pad.
- Recommend just one book. what would it be and why?
- Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Hopefully a touring drummer playing original content that is enjoyable.
That does it for this weeks episode of the drummers I like podcast! Don’t forget to Like, Comment, Follow, Share and Review us
Links for Patch
Drummers I Like Links