Hello Drummers, glad to be back with another show for you! Today our guest is Tito Felix from Upon A Burning Body.
We’re really honored to have Tito on the show today. His playing prowess is awesome. We also are big fans of Tito’s band. If you’re a metal head like us we know you keep up with those guys. Tito’s playing with the group is really phenomenal so we couldn’t wait to talk with him to get into some details of his playing, his background in brazil music, his journey on the drums, and a little about his setup preferences. Don’t forget to listen for Rapid Singles today as well. It’s always a lot of fun and worth the wait! So let’s get to it!
13:00 – 30:40: In our first segment of the show we get into Tito’s history with the drums. He takes us through first finding the drums when living in Brasil. Then we dig into that a bit as well as some of his recommendations for some samba artists to check out. Then Tito tells us how he moved to the states and really grew up behind the drums and promoting himself with social media. There are a lot of great topics that are discussed throughout this segment so listen closely.
30:40 – 36:00: Now we dig into how Tito got involved with Upon A Burning Body. He attracted attention through his YouTube videos and was contacted by the group to join up. Tito gets into more detail about how it all worked out. As we’ve said previously, we love this group and really enjoy what Tito brings into the band.
36:00 – 43:00: Here Tito talks about what’s up and coming for Upon A Burning Body. We know a lot of you listeners enjoy these guys as much as we do so check out what Tito has to say here and keep checking back for updates on when you can check them out the next time their near your hometown! Toward the end of this segment, we have some fun off-topic conversation so that was fun too.
43:00 – 50:00: Next Tito breaks down his current setup. We talk about his long love affair with DW/Pacific drums and what shells he’s currently using. As well as getting into detail about his TRX cymbals. He uses mainly their Icon and BRT lines. We’ve been keeping and eye on TRX lately ourselves and have been very impressed. Our intern Brendan is on their roster and he has had nothing but great things to say about them.
50:00 – Rapid Singles
1. What was holding you back from becoming the successful drummer? – His lack of confidence early in his career.
2. What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? – “Don’t worry what other people think”
3. What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Making time to work on his craft and always seeking knowledge and furthering his education behind the drums.
4. Share a resource or tool that helps you survive as a drummer? – Listening to lots of music. We can always find inspiration just by listening.
5. Recommend just one book. what would it be and why? – This was a different one for us here. Tito recommends a book on spirituality called Serpent of Light by
6. Imagine you woke up tomorrow in a world exactly like ours, you still had all the same knowledge and talent that you have as a drummer but you know no one. All you have is $500, a smartphone, and small portable drum set. What would you do first? – If Tito went back and did things again he would use the smartphone to get back on social media and maybe try play some small places to focus on really digging into music. As well as using his spending cash to maybe buy some lessons with some heavy hitters.
We finish today with some random topics out of Rapid Singles so check that before we sign off. I apologize for having to leave the end of the show to Rich but the time was of the essence for me so thanks for your patience. Rich did a great job wrapping things up. Tito finishes up with some shout outs and that really wraps up the show today. We can’t thank Tito enough for being on with us today and we can’t thank our listeners for tuning in again as well. We can’t wait to get back next week. So till then…Ciao!
Tito Felix links.
Do you enjoy the Drummers I like Podcast? Leave an Itunes review here, let us know how you feel, and help us become your favorite drummer’s podcast!
Subscribe to the Newsletter for early access to content, contests, and offers!